What is Unique Identification Authority of India – Merits of Demerits of the UIDAI initiatives Aadhaar Card?
UIDAI is the Unique Identification Authority of India, which handles the generation of a 12 Digit identification number for each resident of India. This identification number is also called Aadhaar and is printed on the Aadhaar Card.
UIDAI today is successfully running the largest identification number project in the world; where more than one billion people are given unique identification numbers or Aadhaar numbers. This project was started in the year 2009 under the leadership of PM Manmohan Singh. Nandan Nilekani, who is the co-founder of Infosys, was appointed as the Chairman of the Authority.
Later, UIDAI received a significant boost in its project when PM Manmohan Singh launched a Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme linked to the Aadhaar card in 2013. Post-2014 elections, Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s support has also made it possible for the project to run smoothly.
Merits of the Aadhaar Project of UIDAI:
A very big plus point that this Aadhaar number has is that with general information such as Name, DOB, Address and Photo, this Aadhaar card also holds bio-metric information such as the eye scan and fingerprints. As every person in the world has a unique fingerprint and a unique eye scan, details of one person can only be entered once in the database. So, fake Aadhaar numbers can be known and any other matching eye scan and fingerprint are immediately deleted.
This is a very good step by the government and has the following advantages:
- Financial leakage of Government money by cheats, fake numbers and corruption is eliminated
- People who have actually subscribed for the benefits or are applying for the subsidies can get them directly in their bank account from the government.
- This greatly reduces the hassles of the common man to go to various offices and stand in queues for the same.
These benefits are already visible after the Aadhaar linked LPG subsidy was successfully implemented. After the Aadhaar card linked to LPG gas connection project, the government has already saved 15% of its budget for subsidies. This means that, out of an expected expenditure of 100 crore rupees, the government has saved about 15 crore rupees in the year 2014-15.
Thus, the project is being expanded with various other Aadhaar seedings in tow.
De-merits of the Aadhaar project of UIDAI:
People today are still worried that the Aadhaar project may fall out especially due to privacy and security concerns. They are worried that the private data collected by UIDAI can be compromised by anyone in the world. However, the UID Authority has maintained the data well in the past and shows promise that it will continue in the future.
Today, UIDAI covers 67.5% of the population of India and it has generated about 82 crore Aadhaar Numbers. The UID number is already linked with LPG connection, Bank account, Voters card, and Ration Card. Many other projects are expected to start under the leadership of UIDAI in the future.
Apart from this, UIDAI also aims to increase the awareness and ease of work. So it has introduced the UID web portal and is recently launching the UID android app for mobile phones.
Thus it is clear that UIDAI is geared to take up more projects and fulfill its promises to India.
Check out Other IMPORTANT Guides on Aadhar Card
- How To Link Aadhaar With BSNL Mobile Number Online?
- How to Apply Aadhar Card from Different Locations of India – Locate AADHAAR Card Center
- How to make “Aadhar Card Address Correction Online” – Change Address on Aadhar Card
- How to Link Aadhaar Card to ICICI Bank Account Online – Aadhar Seeding
- What is the Aadhar Card Verification Process – Stepwise UIDAI Guidelines
- Udyog Aadhaar Memorandum Print Out, MSME Registration Benefits, NIC Code
- How to Apply AADHAAR CARD Online – UIDAI Online Registration
- How to Locate ALL India City Wise Aadhaar Card Centers in India
- How to Get Duplicates Aadhaar Card for Lost or Misplaced Aadhaar Cards
- How to Apply Aadhaar Card Online – UIDAI Online Registration